Thursday, September 3, 2009

SEPTEMBER 3 - 2009 - GOOD NIGHT!

SEPTEMBER 3 - 2009 - GOOD NIGHT!

Country Greetings!
 
Hello to all the great friends of *Rosalie Serving Cookbooks,* both Italian and soon to be Country. Hopefully everyone is well and still cooking up those good Italian recipes from *Rosalie Serving Italian Cookbook.* While the pastas, pizzas, and breads are quite delicious, many of you have let me know you are fixing more salads and vegetables these days, still trying to shed a few more pounds. I still advocate that a healthy 1500 calorie per day diet, plus frequent exercise, will do the trick.

There is one thing, however, that many of us forget to put into our weight loss grid--a Good Night's Sleep. Did you know that a good night's sleep can rejuvenate your entire body?  And it even helps control body weight by regulating the hormones that affect your appetite. Now, while the ideal 8 hours a night isn't always possible, cheating night after night will catch up to a stressed body, ultimately affecting our eating habits. Wouldn't it be great if we all had time for more sleep?

After a long, tiring day, the idea of climbing into bed can seem like heaven, and we are sure we will just fall asleep peaceably. But after 15 minutes of sleep, our eyes pop wide open and we are consumed with the day's duties, including the good, bad, and the ugly. Like the other night, I was so tired; I just knew I could sleep forever. But after a few moments, I woke up thinking I forgot to teach a cooking class that evening, and got up to check the calendar, only to find I taught it the night before.

Then there are the floating facts that cause me great concern, like when I'm on TV doing a cooking show and I get the two cookbooks, Italian and Country, mixed up, and I'm serving marinara sauce over cornbread and beans. This really gives me indigestion.

Next, there are the nightmares! The most vivid I can remember was the one I had when I was trapped in an alley with 2 shady characters coming after me. I decided in my dream that I would either be a victim or a victor, so I began kicking, scratching, and beating up on these fellows. The next thing I knew, my husband Bill, was kicked out of the bed, scratched from head to toe and knocked up against the dresser knobs, catching him on the side of his head as he fell to the floor. He quickly awoke me and said, "Have you got anything against me?" He was a sad state to behold.

Lastly, there's the food factor. It's usually those late night parties when everyone is having a good time eating everything from fried ravioli and calamari to finishing up with popcorn and root beer floats. It seems the squid floats downstream with the root beer, and the popcorn and ravioli are popping the daylights out of each other. I hate getting up in the middle of the night and spending 2 hours in the bathroom.

But, getting back to a good night's sleep: It repairs body tissues, keeps your heart healthy, lowers levels of stress hormones, improves your memory and cognitive function, and helps you learn new skills. Not only is it important, it is a necessity to stay healthy!

So, somebody…tell me how to get a Good Night's Sleep? Is it the milk and crackers? Yoga? Warm bath? Or, could it be as simple as saying that good night prayer to the Lord, putting everything in His hands, reading a psalm, and just relaxing in the good day the Lord gave us and feeling blessed we are still alive. I think I'll take the last tip, how about you?

And, now after a good night's sleep, be sure to meet me at Viviano's Festa Italiano, 62 Fenton Plaza, in Fenton, Missouri, September 3, for an all day book signing starting at 10:00 AM. Enjoy the Italian grocery, and pick up some homemade frozen ravioli. There may be a party right around the corner.

God Bless and good night!    Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment