NOTE: This revised recipe includes previously omitted oil
Fresh Apple Cake with Cinnamon Walnut Streusel
NOTE: This could be the very best fresh apple cake you have ever tasted. One bite will have you hooked, especially the crunch of walnuts bathed in cinnamon sugar. Yum!
1 (10-inch) metal Bundt pan
3 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
5 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and lightly toasted
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/4 cups mild olive or canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup dark raisins
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees. Spray Bundt pan with cooking spray; set aside. Place diced apples in water with lemon juice while preparing cake to preserve color.
- Prepare streusel filling by combining sugar, cinnamon and walnuts; set aside. (Place walnuts on cookie sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes until aromatic, stirring occasionally.)
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; set aside.
- Next, combine sugar and cinnamon and place in mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Add eggs, oil and vanilla, and beat until yellow and frothy. Alternately, add the sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat together until smooth. Remove mixing bowl to counter, and fold in the raisins.
- Drain the apples, and fold into the cake batter. Pour half the batter in bottom of Bundt pan and sprinkle about 1/2 of the streusel filling over the batter. Using a butter knife, swirl the streusel into the batter. Using a spatula, scrape the remaining batter over the streusel and repeat, using the rest of the streusel over the top. Place pan in oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Test take with tooth pick for dryness. Remove cake and let stand about 10 minutes. Using butter knife, loosen cake all around pan and also around the middle stem. Cake can easily be removed at this time; do not let cake stay in pan, or removal will be difficult. Pick cake up gently and flip over so streusel filling is right-side-up on cake.
- Make the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, milk and almond extract. Stir until smooth and when cake is cooled to slightly warm, drizzle the glaze over top and rim of cake. Serve warm. Makes 12 slices.
God Bless and have a great day.