Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Lion or Lamb - March 3, 2101

March 3, 2010 - LION or LAMB

Greetings and Happy March!

It has been said, "Time flies when you're having fun." Well, time is
definitely flying since March is already here and our Christmas lights
still remain on the roof top. This of course is my husband, Bill's
doing, since he puts up 50,000 lights every year.

It is said that the month of March 'comes in like a lion, out like a
lamb'. But in my Italian family, my dad always said it was the
opposite. This was because my sister Josephine, who was always quiet,
well-mannered, laid-back and soft-spoken, was born on March 1...the
Lamb. While me, Rosalie, who my mother said was born running, and
very much hyperactive, was born on March 30...the Lion. And to my
dad's conclusion, I must say, he was right.

Loving and living life to the fullest has always been my philosophy.
Life is just too short to be negative, pessimistic, fearful, and
always feeling short-changed. (And, I must say, my sister Josephine
feels the same.) So I say, "Join the gym!" Did you know that
exercise not only helps the heart but it does wonders for your mind
and outlook? Just when you feel like beating up on your husband,
kids, the next door neighbor's dog, or even the mail man, you realize
that today is Zumba day at the gym and you can jump around for an hour
to the Latin music. Or choose from Spinning, Step and Toning,
Pilates/Yoga. Some days, I do two classes.

Can't afford the gym? Walk, walk, walk. Buy a good pair of sneakers,
and walk the dog, yourself, the kids, or anyone in the neighbor who
cares to join you. The bottom line is…move it!

The same goes for our lives. Use the talents the Good Lord gave you,
and see how your life will unfold; not only to satisfy you, but to be
a blessing to everyone around you. My motto for this year is
still…"Get up, Dress up, Show up!" There are so many more things we
can do, and sadly because we only have this one life, we then have to
be creative in order to do more of the things we enjoy. If we are
just willing to "show up," you will find more and more people will put
your talents to use, and even be willing to pay you for the service.

I loved the fact that I lost twenty pounds last year, but even more
excited to see that I can keep it off with exercise and healthy
eating. Both of these, at first, were two more things to incorporate
into my already busy life. But now, after doing them for over a year,
they have become a natural part of my lifestyle.

*Exercise: Just do it! Anything is better than nothing. You may
have to start out slowly, but trust me; you will build up to greater
things.

*Healthy Eating: By far, the Mediterranean diet if full of healthy
foods and partly because it doesn't rely on fat-reduced foods high in
refined carbohydrates--like margarine, low-fat crackers, and fat free
cheeses. (See the Article, "A Delicious Way to Dial Back Diabetes") in
the February issue of Reader's Digest. It states that lots of olive
oil, as well as vegetables, whole grains, nuts, fish and poultry are
the healthiest of foods.

In both my cookbooks, *Rosalie Serving Italian,* and *Rosalie Serving
Country,* I advocate the use of olive in everything. I have used it
to fry and cook with, and even use it in most all of my cakes.
Substituting is also very easy. Just the other day, I made my
*Stuffed Green Peppers* with white turkey meat, following the same
recipe as I would have for the ground sirloin. They were delicious!

So, take charge of your life--no one else can. And remember, whether
you are a lamb or a lion, all of us are uniquely designed for such a
time as this. Get busy and don't waste a minute! How about *Stuffed
Green Peppers* on the table tonight?

God bless,
Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment