Saturday, January 16, 2010

THE LOVE LETTER - JANUARY 15, 2010

THE LOVE LETTER - JANUARY 15, 2010

Greetings to all the wonderful friends and fans of Rosalie Serving
Cookbooks. Just recently I received a hand written letter from a
teenage girl telling me about someone very dear to her that is having
a rough time. She wrote me because she wanted me to pray for her
friend.

While I was very touched that she would consider my prayers, I was
equally surprised to have actually received a lengthy letter in the
mail. It has been awhile since I received a hand written letter from
anyone. Before Facebook, Twitter, and personal email, almost all
communication was sent through mail. Letters were, and still are, a
way of writing down what our heart wants to say.

This thought was confirmed in this month's Reader's Digest containing
the article "Love, by the Letters." The featured story tells how the
magazine's staff searched the country for inspiring love notes, and
since Valentine's Day is soon to arrive, it seemed fitting to ask
folks to send in some of their favorites. Reading many of the letters
and notes that people shared brought to mind my own saved love notes.

I immediately went to my dresser, and yes, there in the last drawer in
a small zipped pouch were the long-ago notes my then teen-aged
boyfriend, Bill Harpole, wrote to me in study hall at St. Charles High
School. I can remember the notes being passed down from at least
eight kids to my seat on the end of the row. While they were
laughing, and I red-faced, I would open each note. Some of which went
like this:

Dear Rosy…God has given me a beautiful dream, and when I saw you, I
knew it was real.
Dear Rosy…Last night when I kissed you, I could have conquered the world.
Dear Rosy…You are as beautiful as a billowy cloud, soft and dreamy.
Dear Rosy…Will you be my girl forever and ever and ever and ever?
Dear Rosy…You give me wings to fly, the girl of my eye.

While this went on during the entire courting process, I can honestly
say, the notes, cards, and letters have never stopped, not even after
many, many years of marriage. I must laugh at the sappiness now, as
I'm sure the other eight kids did while they passed and peeked at the
notes,
but, trade the memories? Never!

So, my friends, if you are fortunate enough to have a spouse, why not
leave a little note in their lunch bag tomorrow….something special
from your heart. Or, how about a note to someone you admire? It is
always so much fun to receive a "real" letter in the mail. Not only
will it lift them, but your spirit will also be blessed.

And just to prove your love, just get out one of my cookbooks, Rosalie
Serving Italian or Rosalie Serving Country, and cook up some love in
the way of one of my favorite recipes. I'm having Farmer's Cabbage
tonight, how about you?

God bless,
Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment