Wednesday, October 7, 2009

COMFORT ME WITH COUNTRY

November 7, 2009 -  COMFORT ME WITH COUNTRY

Country Greetings!
 
It was September 25, 2009, at about 1:00 PM that I first laid eyes on the new cookbook, *Rosalie Serving Country.* Although I have looked at the manuscript for almost two years, I felt as though I saw it for the first time. All wrapped in the beautiful teal-colored book jacket was a cookbook filled with what most people call "comfort foods." Dishes that most everyone, no matter what color, creed or culture, at sometime in their lifetime, enjoyed.

Even though I was raised in a typical Italian family, steeped in olive oil and red sauce, I must say there were times when my mom decided she would cook "American," as she called it, and out would come her Betty Crocker cookbook. These dishes didn't come natural to her, but to all our delight, we knew that evening we would indulge in some real "American" food.

She usually fixed the most common dishes, such as fried chicken, real mashed potatoes and chicken gravy, a big bowl of green beans and ham, some fresh frozen corn, and always one of Betty Crocker's cakes, one of which was a pineapple upside down cake fixed in a big black cast iron skillet. Her biscuits could have been a little lighter, but sopped up with gravy, they were great.

As I wrote recipe after recipe, there were times I thought of all the "American" dinners mom ventured out to try. The pot roast with lots of carrots, celery and potatoes was one of my dad's favorites. And when mom would make him cream puffs, filled with real custard pudding, he would give her a big hug and lift her off the floor.

So, I must tell you that since the release of this cookbook, *Rosalie Serving Country,* everyone that has purchased this book has given me a great big hug. The sweetness couldn't be more sincere, and I hear comments like these: "Oh, Rosalie, thank you for putting in the *Ham & Bean Soup,* my mother always put celery, onions and potatoes in her bean soup, and I have been looking for that recipe for ever."

Or, "Oh, Rosalie, I can't believe you have included the *Old Fashioned Buttermilk Pie*. My grandma used to make it all the time." Then there are those who tell me they cherish the classic recipes like the *Sweet Yeast Rolls,* *Rosalie's Coconut Cream Pie,* or the ever popular *Sweet Southern Cornbread.*

It has been such a joy to feel the love and get the hugs, but most of all to know that someone found a comfort food they grew up with and there is actually a recipe to go with it! It is like crawling under that special comforter in the dead of winter, and feeling the warmth go through your body. Since food comes from the Good Lord, and His purpose was for us to sustain nourishment and life, I can't help but believe He wanted us to thoroughly enjoy every bite.

So, my friend, how about ordering your copy of *Rosalie Serving Country,* and cooking up a big pot of *Country Beef Stew with Dumplings* and some *Sweet Yeast Rolls* for supper tonight. Top it off with an old classic, *Lemon Meringue Pie,* and Comfort your family with Country.

My website will soon be going to

www.rosalieserving.com, and my email will be rosalie@rosalieserving.com, so click on my website for upcoming events and catch a cooking class or a book signing. Have fun, and when things get tough, remember what the Bible says, "Let not your heart be troubled... Cast all your care upon Him, for He careth for you."

God Bless, and Happy Cooking Country

Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment