Tuesday, April 21, 2009

THE HAM BONE

THE HAM BONE - APRIL 20, 2009

Buon giorno and Good Day!

Greetings to all you spring cleaning fanatics and furniture-changing marvels! April, it is said, is the month of change. It is that in-between time of the year when no one really knows what to wear, especially when all the "winter" items have been tucked away and the "summer" items are now hanging in our closets. I have been one of the "confused" ones, getting the sweaters back out that I just packed up two weeks ago, and since today is cold, windy and overcast, I am walking around with two sweaters on trying to stay warm.

But I do thank God for His beautiful day, even though it is a bit interesting. One thing never changes, however, and no matter what the weather, there is a very familiar question that lingers on our lips… "What should I cook for supper tonight?" This question comes up almost every day, either at work, school or just anywhere women and men alike are gathered. With tough times upon us, many are resorting to actually cooking at home more than caving to the high cost of "picking something up" for dinner.

Our old Pastor, Rev. Walter S. Guinn, used to tell the story of the "Ham Bone". He would tell us that during the Great Depression, times were so tough that one family would buy a partial ham. They would bake it; serve it to their family and save the ham bone. A few weeks later they would make "Ham & Beans." They then would pass the bone to their neighbors, and they too would make "Ham & Beans." This process would repeat itself until after 4 to 5 passings of the "Ham Bone," it would then be out of "flavor" and the passing finally came to a stop. Pity the last people; I hope they had a lot of seasonings.

Now no one wants to see another Great Depression, but it would be nice to see our neighbors more often, and I daresay we throw away more food that we "pass on." It just so happens that with the last ham I baked, I did save the "Ham Bone." With the wind howling outside and the cold air blowing, I believe I will take that ham bone out and make a great big pot of "Ham & Beans." If anyone out there would like to have it tomorrow, please email me and I'll be glad to run it right over.

So, you all take care, and weather it be Italian or Country cuisine, make a big pot of soup or stew tonight and take comfort from the crazy weather. Enjoy each other and take pride in cooking your own food tonight, and don't forget the cornbread! Serve it hot with butter and crumble that cornbread right over the beans. You many even want to serve your Ham & Beans with some chopped onions. Ummm…can't you just taste it now? If you don't have a good recipe, I'll be sure to post mine from *Rosalie Serving Country* on my Weekly Recipe list. Just click on my site

www.rosalieservingitalian.com and sign up for a free Weekly Newsletter. God bless all of you and don't forget to pass the "Ham Bone."

Buona sera, and Good Evening

Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment