Sunday, November 9, 2008

FESTA ITALIANO

 FESTA ITALIANO

Buon giorno and Good Day!

Doing a book signing yesterday at Viviano's Festa Italiano Food Market, the atmosphere was just as the name applied, a Party! Celebrating their 5 year anniversary, the owner Michael Viviano and his lovely wife Beth, decided to live up to their name… Festa Italiano, and throw an Italian party for all their faithful customers, as well as try to win new ones.

The store, located at 62 Fenton Plaza in Fenton MO, is a nice drive from almost anywhere in the Metropolitan St. Louis, MO and surrounding areas; and definitely worth every minute to experience a little bit of Italy. Just walking into the atmosphere and hearing the Italian music sets everyone in a pleasant mood, especially hearing Dean Martin's old classic, "That's Amore." Remember the words… "When the moon hits your eye like a big-a pizza pie, that's amore, and when the stars make you drool like the pasta fazool, that's Amore." It doesn't take long to ditch the blues, especially when people you hardly know start hugging and kissing you on the cheek like you were their long lost cugina (cousin).

On entering the front door, green, white and red balloons greeted everyone as they drifted on the ceiling, while the entire store took on the sights, sounds and aromas of Italy. The appetizers handed out were samples of the store's specialties such as Italian roast beef on Italian bread, an array of wonderful cheeses; Fontina, is one of my favorite, and olives of all sorts. There were Italian creamed dips for shrimp, fried cheeses and vegetables, not forgetting the Italian cookies that lined the deli counter.

Then there were the invited guests to show off their Italian contributions. I was sandwiched in between *Volpi,* a company that makes some of the finest salamis, prosciutto and Italian deli meats, and my friend Mike Lombardo who specializes in *Kreta Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil.* He claims it is the best and purest olive oil made. I, of course, was giving samples of Italian Cream Cake, which I like to think is one of the signature desserts in my cookbook *Rosalie Serving Italian. Our tables were all lined up in a row, and by the time the people got down to the last table to sample the bread-soaked olive oil, they had enough food to start a buffet.

While I was trying hard to sell my cookbook, the Volpi people were pushing the salami, and the Olive Oil man was making us all feel guilty if we didn't look out for our arteries. I knew people had a limited amount of money, so when I handed them the cake all frosted with the wonderful cream cheese topping, I only asked one favor; "save the cake for last." This must have worked because the next thing I knew, most everyone returned with one question, "Is this recipe in your book?"

"Oh, I'm so glad you asked," I said.  I then went on to tell them that all of my cakes are made with *Bertoli, 100% mild Olive Oil,* and that eating this cake was most healthful, give or take a few fat calories. While most everyone laughed at my comparison, they had to admit that the cake was so delicious; they would just have to have a book. Of course I would oblige them, and to make it authentic, I would even sign their copy.

While I received hearty hugs, and had my picture taken with many of them, I must admit it was more fun for me then for them. Being able to share with people the making of the book, and my passion for cooking gives me great joy. And I guess the idea of them savoring their sample cake till last must have paid off.

After the crowd finally died down, and I realized I had sold 47 books, Volpi people and Olive Oil man noticed a big part of the books were gone. "Wow, you really sold some books," they said, and of course I added, "It must have been due to the fine products on either side of me." We all had a hearty laugh, and with all due respect they too had a prosperous day.

So, looking for something fun to do? Take your spouse, son or daughter, and head down to Viviano's on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon, and just enjoy the sights, sounds and aromas of Italy. Enjoy a sit down meal at the tables they have in their café area. and enjoy their Pasta con Broccoli along with a deli sandwich, or one of the many items they make fresh right on the spot. Then shop around, and get all the items you need to cook a great recipe right out of *Rosalie Serving Italian.* You're sure to have a great time, and tell Michael I sent you.

Be sure to click on my website and check out the upcoming events near you. I will be at  Dierberg's School of Cooking November 10, demonstrating my "Favorite Christmas Dinner.* Hope to see you there or at a cooking class near you.

Email me any time at

Rosalie@rosalieservingitalian.com

Bona sera and Good Evening!

Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment