Tuesday, September 11, 2007

PARKER'S TABLE, Se

Buon giorno, Good Day!
 
Just when I thought I've seen every kind of pasta shape there could possibly be, I discover this little Italian shop  at 8137 Maryland Avenue in Clayton, Missouri, called Parker's Table.  As I mentioned in my recent news letter, I was at Farmer's Market last Saturday in Clayton, and had a great time.  Especially with the "Blues Hog" barbecue man (read my recent newsletter for explanation). Anyway, while I was there a young man named John was talking to one of the vendors about an Italian recipe he had just tried.  Overhearing this conversation, I guess I rudely interrupted and said "Hey, I'm the author of the recently released Rosalie Serving Italian Cookbook, and this sounds very interesting to me.  John said " Oh, then you will love my store, it has some unusual pastas and other Italian specialties in it". "Oh really", I said, "and where is your store?'  "Right up the street; it's called Parker's Table". Just come on up after the Market closes; you'll see my 3-wheeler parked right out front".
 
Because of the St. Louis Art Fair, the Farmer's Market was closing at 10:30AM instead of the usual 12:00PM.  After eating all the barbecue I could stand (purchased from one of the vendors at the market), we were packing up to go home, when I remembered John's invitation.  My sister-in-law, Lee, was with me, and we both decided to venture up the street. 
 
One couldn't miss the store because right out in front is the cutest little 3-wheeler which looks like an Italian peddler's wagon.  It has 'Parker's Table' on it and was painted yellow. Right into the store are bushel baskets and boxes with the strangest looking pasta shapes I have ever seen.  There was a couscous-type pasta called Fregola Sarda from the province of Sardia. Next, I found a hard small 2-inch spaghetti called Trofie, from Liquria.  In the next box was a large long 4-inch tubular noodle called Strozzapreti.  Another one looked like a piece of squid. The noodle was dark gray and was called Calamarata Nero.  There were many others, all imported from various provinces of Italy.
 
The store also had many imports of oils, wines, sauces, cheeses, candies and other Italian novelties.  John quickly pulled out a Baked Lemon Riccotta cheese with crackers for sampling to greet us to his store.  He was a very kind young man; showing us all the specialties he was proud to be stocking. My sister-in -law, Lee, nicely obliged him by buying her share of the stock.  I never have to feel bad when she's with me; she buys enough for both of us( I rarely buy anything).  Anyway, after we saw everything, John wanted my book for consignment, and I readily accommodated him.
 
On the way home I thought, St. Louis definitely has a flair for Italian food.  Just when I think I've seen all the imports from Italy to be seen, another unique store like Parker's Table pops up.  John also brings in special people. One he told me about is Juillo Parente, who is from 5 generations in Tuscany, Italy. Not only the unique store, but celebrities as well. Put this one on your tourists list.
 
Going to "The Hill" soon?  Don't forget to stop into DiGregorio's on September 22.  I will be signing books starting at 10AM and they will be featuring a recipe right out of my cookbook called Baked Artichoke Casserole with Shrimp and Crabmeat.  It should be a lot of fun. So, take care and God Bless.
 
Rosalie Fiorino Harpole,
 
 
  
 
 

1 comment: