Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"CAPPUCCINO" SPOTLIGHT- Septembr 5, 2007

Buon giorno!
 
Sorry I've been so late in blogging you guys. This cookbook 'thing' can be time-consuming, to say the least.  Especially the book signings, not that I'm complaining, because I dearly love it.  Everyone of them has been wonderful and unique, which brings to mind my first Barns & Nobel experience.  My dear friend, Debbie Horn, who is the Community Relations Manager for the Barnes & Nobel in Fenton, Missouri, did a wonderful display the day of the signing.  She had me over in the cookbook area in a cozy little lounge complete with browsing table, chairs and a huge cookbook display behind me.  It was all so visitor-friendly and there were ladies waiting for me the minute I arrived.  Since we did the signing the day after I was on the Show Me St. Louis cooking demonstration, I was not surprised.  However, there was just one problem.
 
Since this was a Saturday, and our weekend to visit our sons and their families, (we try to go to Terre Haute, Indiana, every other week-end), we had our little ShihTzu puppy with us, intending to leave for Indiana after the signing.  "Cappuccino", a little over a year old, actually looks like a cup of cappuccino.  He is light and dark brown (the coffee) with white around his neck( the whipped cream).  His ears are darker brown with black tips( The cinnamon, and mayby some espresso thrown in).  If you actually want to see him, he's in my cookbook, Rosalie Serving Italian, 'on page 230.
 
In any event, after settling into my assigned area, my husband Bill, who was carrying all my stuff in, tells me, "I have go out and see about our puppy, "Capps".  Debbie heard this and said,  "Oh, you guys have a puppy?".  "Yes", my husband says, "He's our little ShihTzu, 'Cappuccino'.  "Well just bring him in, we are dog-friendly you know".  Wow, this is great, I thought, Bill won't have to worry about the dog all day, and since "Capps' is usually very well behaved, I didn't anticipate any problems.  He'll just stay under the table with his leash tied to the table leg, and no one will know the difference.  So, in a few short minutes, enters "Cappuccino".  The few ladies that had gathered to talk to me about my book were smitten and said, "Oh, look at the adorable dog! ...Please, can we pet him and hold him"?  Something told me right then, this was not a good idea.  I was here to sell and sign books, right?  WRONG!   What?... is this about a cookbook or a dog?
 
About two hours later, after the Barnes & Nobel staff came by, plus friends, visitors, and "Dog Lovers", a very unusual thing happened.  One of the young girls who worked in the coffee shop area said she wanted a book.  "Of course, I said, and as I reached for a book ready to sign, she stopped me.  "I do have a request though", eyes pleading,  "Can Cappuccino sign my book"?  As I stood starring, trying to figure what to say, Debbie stepped right up and said "Of course, I think we have an ink pad that will work just fine".  Now, this had to one for the record; my puppy, with his little paw print in one of my books!  Do I look like I want to share the glory?  Nevertheless, here comes Debbie.  "Now young lady, just open that book and tell me where you want the autograph".  She then picks Capps up, promptly presses his right paw repeatedly in the ink, then onto the front page, and the "paw print" is done. (All the while the dog is cocking his head from side to side, as he does when he "thinks".)  There you have it folks....the prettiest "paw print" ever.  "Oh, thank you, thank you', the girl says, and gives the dog a big hug.  I thought, please God, don't let her start crying,  I  didn't think I could take a 'Sanjaya" episode right now.  (If you didn't get that, ask someone about American Idol on your lunch break).
 
It took Debbie a few minutes to get the ink off Capps's paw, and by the look in his eye, he must have thought, 'strange people, these humans'.  Maybe I was just dreaming, but it did appear he was strutting out the store.  "Don't let this go to your head", I said, "especially if you want to be in the next cookbook".  All in fun, the day ended with a lot of laughter, hugs, and "please come back again, and don't forget Cappuccino".
 
The thought?  Never think too highly of yourself, or that your indispensable; someone right around the corner is there to take your place.  God may even let it be a dog!  So, click on my upcoming events,  and come to one of my book signings. You never know what you may see, ha ha.
 
Arriverderci, and Goodbye
Love, Rosalie...and Keep Serving Italian.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment