Friday, July 27, 2007

Interview with Post Dispatch

July 27, 2007
 
Buon giorno:
Hello my friends:
 
Recently I was at a large church service where there were about 1,500 people in attendance.  It was an evening service,  about 7:30pm.  I received a phone call from a journalist representing the Food Section of the St. Louis Post Dispatch.  I stepped out into the vestibule of the church and heard her say, "Rosalie, do you mind if I do an interview over the phone about your cookbook"?  I said, "oh, that will be fine."  I didn't realize this would take an hour.
 
So, I'm out in the vestibule with unruly kids, bathroom goers, booth browsers, and condemning faces noticing me pace around with my cell phone glued to my ear.  Not to mention this was the worship time in the service agenda, so the orchestra and praise singers were at their peak sound level.
 
Every now and then I would hear the lady say "so, tell me about your book".  During breaths I was ducking in and out of all sorts of rooms, trying to find some quietness, some of which included the music room, bathroom (no reception), kitchen, janitor closet, (no reception) nursery, Sunday school room, all of which had the wonderful loud Pentecostal music piped in. 
 
After 10 minutes of this, and me asking her, "could you please repeat that question"?,  I thought, " I'll just go outside". This would have been great, except that a great storm was brewing and the rain was inevitable.  Finally, the music subsided and I was able to think a little.  I didn't realize they were taking up the evening offering, and after the short prayer, the 120 member choir would be featured.
 
"And how long did it take you to complete the book?  Where did the recipes come from?  What prompted you to write a cookbook?  Who took the food pictures? ....are you still there?"   "Oh yes", I replied, while retreating to my own display booth, sitting on the floor behind my table with one finger in my other ear, and saying  "yes, yes, I can hear you well".  "Oh, good" she said, "and your story is so interesting, why I could just go on and on".  "Just take your time", I said, hoping no one would actually come over to my table and behold the sight.  Anyway, by this time, most everyone should be in their seats, including me.
 
I've not seen the article out in the Post Dspatch yet, but I am concerned. I can just see the lyrics of the choir song mixed in with the interview.  At any rate, after an hour of telling my story, I did finally join my husband, just in time to hear the announcement, "And please turn off your cell phones in courtesy of the evening speaker.  Wow, that was a close one!  I almost missed an interview!
 
All in fun, God's timing is always perfect, even though you may have to hide under your table for awhile, He has a way of finding you.
 
Ciao, and watch for my next blog,
Love, Rosalie
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment