Monday, May 24, 2010

HELP! GIVE ME SOME CHOCOLATE - MAY 24, 2010

May 24- Help! Give Me Some Chocolate!

Greetings to all the great fans of Rosalie Serving Cookbooks. The
month of May is usually filled with holidays lending to
more-than-our-pocketbooks-would-care-to- spend month. There is
Mother's Day, graduations, wedding showers, proms, and Memorial Day
reunions. All of these, as grand as they are, do come with delightful
stress.

For me, Mother's Day was great, especially when I heard that Mary the
mother of Jesus, left Jesus for three days back in Jerusalem when they
were traveling. Since I have left one or all of my three children in
various places; like on the back of the church pew, on the church bus
and in the restaurant, hearing this really lifted my spirits. Yes, I
have been vindicated!

And then we had a perfect graduation celebration in the Harpole
family. My granddaughter, Taylor Ryan, made us all proud when she
graduated from Lackland Air Force Base -basic training. After almost
nine weeks of rigorous work-outs, when she received her "coin" and
recited the 'Air Force Oath,' there wasn't a dry eye in the place.
The only negative was the 20-hour drive from Terre Haute, Indiana, to
San Antonio, Texas. If it wasn't for the Ole Sawmill Café, in Forrest
City Arkansas, where I had the buffet of *Catfish Steaks,* Barbeque
Chicken,* *Gumbo,* *Mustard Greens,* *Peach Cobbler* and Tums for the
next two days, the trip would have been uneventful.

Of reunions, I am the coordinator for the Italian Memorial Day reunion
in my family. We celebrate the families of three sisters and one
brother; the Castrogiovanni's. The three sisters married
respectively; Joe Campise, Phil Abbacchi, and, my father, William
Fiorino. Their brother was Tony Castrogiovanni. If you can imagine
the uncles, aunts, cousins, and friends of the cousins, all yelling
at the same time to make our point and with the kids running amok,
this is it. We all gather under the park pavilion tasting *Spiedini,*
Red Sauce over Penne,* Italian cookies, and *Lemon Ice. Other than
great indigestion, and ears ringing, we all go home vowed to return
for more of Italy the next year.

Other than another graduation to run off to tonight, the month of May
will soon wind down and we may even have some sun. But I say….enough
of the excitement. "Help! Give me some chocolate!" Did you know that
a little bit of chocolate calms the nerves, sooths anxiety, and is
good for you? Well, even if I made it up, it sounds good to me…taste
good too. I say, if we must go through life's journey, make it sweet.
How about the best Chocolate Icebox Pie tonight? This is bound to
bring it all together…with "sweet memories" to boot.

Love always,
Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment