Tuesday, July 28, 2009

SUNDAY BEST

 JULY 28, 2009 - SUNDAY BEST

Buon giorno and Good Day!

Greetings to all the wonderful fans and faithful supporters of *Rosalie Serving Italian* cookbook. Hope you all are enjoying the great summer days. I must apologize for being a whole week late on a newsletter and recipe. Getting my second book, *Rosalie Serving Country,* off to the printer was no small feat, especially going through every recipe for the last time. This was very time consuming, but hopefully it will be completely perfect when you get your copy. The book should make its debut around the last week in September.

I must report to you all that my weight loss of 23 pounds has held secure at 135 pounds for sometime now. Many have asked the question, "how did you do it, and how are you keeping it off when you love to cook so much?" I wonder this myself, especially since I still cook up a storm. I must say my lifestyle of eating has drastically changed.

I guess the big thing is keeping active. I have read so many times that walking is the best exercise, and I must say it has worked for me. This morning my dog, Cappuccino, and I walked our usual 2 miles at the little park close to my house. The walking trail there is an up and down-hill scenic route, complete with lots of trees, birds and other walkers. It is very pleasant, and I love to go there when I can. If I can't make it to the park, then I use my elliptical bike at home. Working out at least 4 times a week is essential.

Some other tips I can pass along is to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, very little red meat and lots of fiber. This works out well for me and I can still enjoy my pasta and Italian foods occassionally. I cook up cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, onions and peppers with extra virgin olive oil, a little garlic and fresh tomatoes, plus Italian seasonings, for a delightful vegetable dish. Almost any vegetable can be sautéed with garlic, olive oil and seasonings for a great side dish.

Sauté chicken breasts in garlic and olive oil for a great entrée, or try the *Stuffed Tilapia*. If you love salads, as I do, you can make a whole meal by using varieties of lettuce, lots of garden vegetables, topping them with sautéed salmon, tuna, grilled chicken or your favorite deli meats. When I get hungry for pasta, I have a smaller portion and still feel very satisfied.

But, I must say, one thing that stays the same in Italian families is the Sunday dinner. This is the *Sunday Best* meal that is meant to celebrate families. There will be no excuses not to eat the savory Red Sauce with Meatballs ladled over penne pasta, the Italian Salad, Homemade Bread, and Modiga Steaks served with Peppermint Sauce. This meal must be eaten with delight, and cook must never hear that you are refraining from her "cooked with love" meal. There are just no excuses! If my mother, Ann Fiorino, were here today, she would say, "Walk all you want through the week, but you better eat my pasta on Sunday."

I can remember as a child lying in bed on Sunday mornings smelling the red sauce simmering and the heavenly aroma of freshly baked loaves of bread as they came out of the oven. I knew mom was in her element, and that afternoon as my brother and sister and their families would gather in, we would again be reminded that some things must never change.

How about preparing a Sunday Best dinner this week-end? If you have the book, *Rosalie Serving Italian,* it is just a memory waiting to be recorded. Just work out a little harder during the week, and take your dog along as you walk, he will love it!

Click on my site for upcoming events, and have a great week,

Rosalie

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sis. Harpole!
    I just discovered your website and blog and will definitely be ordering your books!

    You know my dear husband, Les, through Bible quizzing. He said the BEST Italian meal he has EVER eaten was made by you!! So I will definitely be trying some of your recipes. When I do, they'll show up on my blog on Friday Foodie and I'll link back to you.

    ReplyDelete