Tuesday, June 16, 2009

JUNE 16, 2009 - HIGH SCHOOL PICNIC

JUNE 16, 2009 - HIGH SCHOOL PICNIC

Buon giorno and Good Day!

Greetings to all the faithful fans of *Rosalie Serving Italian,* and *Rosalie Serving Country.* Summer will officially be here, June 22nd, and many reunions, graduations, birthdays, and other events will be celebrated picnic-style beneath pavilions…complete with lemonade, hot dogs, ants and fire flies. Just this past weekend I was invited to one such event-- my high school picnic.

While I was conducting a cooking class at one the Dierberg's School of Cooking, two ladies informed me that they were my former classmates from Jennings High School, Jennings, Missouri. I had only completed my freshman and sophomore years there, and lost contact with many of my class mates. After introducing themselves to me, I did remember them and was able with their help to recall many of the others in our class. During the class and while the students were sampling the good food, my friends and me were able to reminisces about our high school days. The evening was very enjoyable. They both were very kind, and insisted my husband and I be included on their list of class events.

The picnic, which was held last weekend, was one of such events. It was an unusual Saturday, in that I didn't have a book signing scheduled, and so the picnic was not only possible, but anticipated. . I knew that the two classmates had emailed everyone stating the fact that I had published a cookbook, and so I was invited to bring a few copies along with me.

I wanted to share something from the cookbook with everyone, but what would it be? After looking through the book, I thought, "I must make the Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil." To make it even better, I added another recipe, Italian Crusted Cauliflower, and topped it off with plenty of Parmesan cheese. A Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, made with olive oil, was my choice of dessert. I brought plenty of bowls and soufflé cups for everyone to have a sample.

After arriving and greeting everyone, I placed my yellow tablecloth down on one of the picnic tables and began revealing the food. "Do come on over and have a taste," I invited. The pasta and cake were still warm, and everyone was so appreciative for the offering. Looking around at the other tables, I noticed that most everyone had eaten before they came, or brought a Subway with them. I had apparently overlooked the notice in the invitation telling folks to just pick up a sandwich of their choice.

The picnic was great and it was good to be able to visit with all of them, but like so many picnics these days, people are opting to just "bring a sandwich." What happened to the "good old days," when people would bring real picnic food? I'm talking about Aunt Mary's potato salad, Uncle Ben's barbeque, Mom's fried chicken, and Grandma's cucumber salad. And what about the cupcakes, and buttermilk pie?

I can remember as a young woman going to our annual church picnic and not being able to wait for the 12:00 official eating time. Every church family would uncover their specialty and hardly anyone would eat at their own table. We would all march up and down the rows and "sample" each other's delights, especially the table of our pastor's wife, Stella Guinn. She would bring the best chicken & dumplings. Looking back, that pot of dumplings looked enormous, and everyone would wind up at her table first, plate in hand, and taste buds jumping.

So, my friend, the next time you host a picnic, be sure to encourage everyone to bring what they make best, and don't forget Aunt Mary's potato salad. Have fun this summer, and get out the family recipes. Why not have a contest for the best dessert? Just call my husband, Bill; he will volunteer judge any time.

Click on my website,

www.rosalieservingitalian, for the nearest book signing or cooking event near you.

Buona serra, and Good Evening,

Rosalie

No comments:

Post a Comment