Thursday, December 11, 2008

MY HUSBAND'S CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

 MY HUSBAND'S CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

Greetings to all my "Happy Cooking Italian" fans. Last week's Newsletter, "My Mother's Christmas Cookies," seems to have struck the cords of many who have lost the "matriarch" of their family, and now find their selves filling that same roll as their grown children gather around the table. Thanks to all of you who let me know how much you enjoyed that story.

Since I spoke of my mother last week, it only seemed fair that I must tell you of my Husband's Christmas Lights. It started many years ago with just a strand or two around the front-yard light pole along with the front porch decorated. Like all children, our three glistened with excitement just to see Dad's work on the pole and front porch. Every year, just a little more went up, until that small subdivision house shone from the front yard, porch and roof to the bushes and trees included.

When we moved to the country town of Troy MO, in 1976 we were blessed to build a four-bedroom large ranch home on 3 acres. Scott was 10, Jeff 8, and Dana was 4 years of age. The Christmas tradition of Dad's Christmas light continued, but it wasn't until about 10 years ago that the explosion began. It seemed my husband realized that beside the house, garage, and garden areas, he also had 3 acres of frontal highway that was "all his." To say he went "bonkers" is an understatement!

He starts his decorating during the last week of November and actually doesn't stop until we, (the whole family,) scream with frustration until the day before Christmas. His explanation: "Everyone loves my lights, and there is always time for one more thing". With only 14 days left to Christmas, I can't imagine that he will get everything up he intends to. So far he has the roof decorated with a blue outline and a large star looming over the top. When it is over, he will have most all of the bushes, trees, and fence decorated along with blow-ups of every kind: animated deer, snowmen, manger scenes, planes, trains, a prancing horse with carriage, and much, much more.

This year he has added backyard dancing lights that synchronize with Christmas Carols and fill the whole backyard with music. He also puts a sign up in the yard that invites anyone to tour the area with their children. The magic of Christmas lives on in the Harpole home, thanks to my husband Bill.

While I'm in the house doing my thing baking cookies and cheesecakes, I can hear my husband up on the roof adding yet another display. It all makes for a great Christmas; it's the aftermath that can be stressful. Like when the mailman stops by in April and tells me he loved my husbands lights, and chuckles as he makes reference to them still being up on the roof. "Oh, don't get on him" he says, we don't care if he leaves them up all year." This is one message that will not be conveyed.

But all in all, Jesus Is the Reason for the Season, (another sign he displays), and no amount of celebrating can be enough to show our appreciation for the birth of our King. It truly is the magic of Christmas that all of us love and captures not only the little ones, but the adults as well.

Look for my *Holiday Roast* in this week's *Weekly Recipe* and click on my website for upcoming events,

www.rosalieservingitalian.com Thanks to all of the students last evening at the Dierbergs School of Cooking who loved everything I cooked and made me feel right at home. We really had a lot of fun and laughed the whole time! Be sure to pick up a brochure from Dierbergs and join me in a Cooking Class, near you.

Merry Christmas everyone, and be sure to drive up Highway KK in Troy, MO. To see the best Christmas display, *My Husband's Christmas Lights".

God Bless,
Rosalie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment